Visitor Visa

Visitor Visa

Planning on visiting Canada to meet your family or for vacation? A Visitor Visa will provide you temporary admission into Canada. Depending on your situation, you may apply through one of the following methods such as a Tourist Visa or Temporary Resident Visa, Super Visa, or Business Visitor Visa.

To be eligible for a tourist visa, you must prove

  • Your intention is to return after your temporary stay
  • You have the finances to support your stay
  • Possess up-to-date travel documents
  • You meet the criminal and medical requirements
  • Visitors have no intention to work or study

Apply for a Visitor’s Visa for family

Before you leave your home country, your family member(s) may apply for a Visitor’s Visa (and an open Work Permit, in the case of spouses) at the Canadian Embassy, Consulate or Visa Application Centre serving your country of citizenship or legal residence. This can be done at the same time that you are applying for your Study Permit. Contact your nearest Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate to apply.

If you are already in Canada studying and wish to invite your family to join you, you can support their Visitor’s Visa applications by sending the following documents:

Letter of invitation

You must write a letter of invitation on your family member’s behalf. Be sure to include the following information:
  • Your relative’s name, their address, and their telephone number
  • Your relative’s date of birth
  • Your name, address and telephone number (home and office) in Canada
  • An invitation to your relative to join you in Canada and information about how long you wish them to stay here

Your current status documents

  • A copy of your Study Permit
  • A copy of your Work Permit (if you have one)
  • A Confirmation of Enrolment Letter from your registrar’s office

Information about financial support (required only if inviting a spouse or child to come stay with you during your studies)

  • A copy of the last four months of your bank statements
  • A letter describing any scholarship you may have and its specific amount
  • A letter indicating the amount you are paid for work, if you have a job in Canada
  • A letter from a sponsor (if you have one) that includes information about their financial circumstances
  • Documents describing any other source of financial support you have

Although your spouse is eligible to apply for a Work Permit and may look for work upon arrival in Canada, CIC will not take into consideration the possibility of this additional income when assessing financial support.

Tips for an easy application

If you are inviting a family member who is not your spouse (for example, your parents or your siblings), they should show proof of enough funds for their stay in Canada (bank statements, pay stubs, etc.). They will also need to show a strong attachment to their home country (job, business, family, etc.).

We strongly recommend that you send an invitation letter and the other documents to your family member even if they are coming from a country whose citizens do not require a visa to enter Canada. Upon arrival, immigration officers usually ask visitors about the purpose of their visit – having the invitation letter from you, and the other documents, can make this process easier.

Super Visa

The super visa is intended to give citizens or permanent residents (PR) of Canada the ability to sponsor their parents and grandparents to live permanently in Canada. The super visa is valid for 10 years with a renewal period of 2 years at a time. To be eligible for a super visa, you must prove:

  • Valid documentations (criminal, travel, medical, etc)
  • Visitors have NO intention to work or study
  • Meet private medical coverage requirements
  • Financial responsibility obligations from the sponsor

Business Visitor Visa

This section covers business visitor visas for work-related travel and investors. In order to be eligible for a business visitor visa, you must prove:

  • You are visiting Canada for work-related purposes
  • Your intention is NOT to enter the job market
  • You meet the required conditions to visit and stay
  • Your main source of income resides outside of Canada